Friday, May 28, 2010

Thank you Gilman!

This entry is dedicated to the Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship program.

I wanted to say that I really am grateful that I was chosen as a recipient for the scholarship.
This help was really what made this trip possible because, as I've mentioned before, I come from a very underprivileged family. And this scholarship helped me pay for the program, and completely paid for the expensive (for my capabilities) airplane ticket round trip!

From my position you have no idea how much help this was! It took a lot of financial pressure off of me. It felt so much better not having to take out a loan for study abroad this way, I didn't incur more debt than I already do for regular school. The scholarship allowed me to feel like more is possible for me.
SEE this is how happy I am:


I really encourage everyone in need to apply for this scholarship, about 1 in 3 of the scholarship applicants get the scholarship! That's almost half!
I think any time working on a statement of purpose is definitely worth this life experience and what they ask in return is just a project that will allow you to share your experience with others and encourage them to study abroad and telling them they have resources like the Gilman Scholarship to help them out.

APPLY HERE:
http://www.iie.org/en/programs/Gilman-Scholarship-Program/Apply.aspx#faq3

Guess what my project is? This BLOG! And honestly I enjoyed this the whole time, to share my experience, but it has also added to my experience.
I made me more conscious of what was going on during this time abroad and I think it has made me more attentive as i have people to whom I can tell my little stories. Hopefully they have helped you or at least been enjoyable and allowed you to see what an experience abroad in Bahia, Brazil is like, through the window that is me.

Thanks for reading everyone!

Some more happy pictures:






No comments:

Post a Comment